- What is Kandy City Waste Water Management Project (KCWMP) ?
Kandy City Waste Water Management Project is a project implemented by the National Water Supply and Drainage Board and funded by JICA in Japan and Sri Lanka. It deals with collection of waste water from buildings in the project service area in Kandy, purification of such water in a water purification plant at Gannoruwa and release of purified water to Mahaweli River.
- What is its service area?
The service area of the project covers mostly the central part of the Kandy city where the population density is high. This area includes 733 hectares of land, Kandy Lake and two main roads leading to Peradeniya. The land covered include 12,500 houses, hotels, shops and offices. Population in this area is about 55,000 and the number of daily migrants is estimated to be about 150,000.
- What is Waste Water?
Waste water collected by the project includes used water from toilets, kitchens, pantries and bathing areas. Water containing heavy metals or chemicals from the factories, clinical waste from hospitals, medical laboratories, medical centres and water containing oil from vehicle service stations are not accepted by the project
- What is the purpose of this project?
The main purpose of this project is to prevent pollution of water in the Kandy Lake, Mahaweli River and other water sources while improving sanitary conditions in densely populated areas of Kandy city
- Why is this project necessary ?
It is necessary because the service area is facing problems such as lack of space for constructing individual septic tanks due to population growth, unsatisfactory maintenance of existing septic tanks, contamination of natural water sources, contamination of underground water sources, and seepage of waste water causing earth slips.
- Who is implementing this project ?
Water Supply and Drainage Board implements this project until its completion and commissioning. Thereafter it will be handed over to the Kandy Municipal Council for maintenance and management
- How do I know that my house number is included into service area list?
Yes, you can communicate the Project director, Deputy Project director or Chief Engineer (Constructions) of PMU and give them your House hold assessment number and the road where you are currently living they will inform you whether you are included to the Service area or not.
- Is there any legal requirement to connect to the wastewater system?
Yes, According to by- law and regulation passed by the Kandy Municipal Council, whoever informed to get the connection by the KMC within the service area, should pay attention to connect with the wastewater system.
- If we were informed that we will not get to the wastewater system , how that legal implication effect on us?
If you were informed that you are not get connection to the wastewater system, there is no obligation legally to connect the system.
- Is there any charges need to be paid to get connect to the wastewater system?
During the first phase of the Project, you will get free of charge if you are connected with the system during the constructions period. If you apply to connect to the system after construction you have to pay around Rs: 125,000.00 to get connection
- Are there any usage charges that we have to pay monthly or frequently?
Yes, you have to pay some amount. This amount will come along with your water bill and Wastewater bill be calculated on percentage and will be added to your monthly water bill.
- If anyone neglected in paying bill for service, what will happen?
Since the service bill added to the water bill and if anyone has not pay regularly, they will face the disconnection to the water supply.
- What are the benefits that we will get if we connect to the wastewater system?
There are many direct benefits that you will gain such as;
- Since you don’t need to maintain septic tank after got connection, you can use that space for some other purposes.
- Once septic tanks is removed you will get cockroaches, Pests fly’s and mosquitos free environment and able to maintain good health and sanitation atmosphere. You don’t need to remove sewerage by using gully bowser time to time and you can save some money too.
Indirect benefits as follows;
- People feel proud that Kandy city become Clean, Health and Developed city
- Improving Income of business communities and other communities due to increasing local and foreign visitors to Kandy because of Kandy city become more beautiful city.
- Community will save money as they become more healthy
- Best practices of health and sanitation will be adopted by urban community
- Attitudes of health and sanitation of surrounding areas will increased within the urban community
- Mitigate the possibilities of landslides due to reduce of septic tanks which are caused to landslides by the absorbing water to the ground.
- Control pollution of ground water sources
- If any problem occurred during the service period (drainage blocked, pipe line broke) how do we get assistance to repair it?
All the maintenance will look after by the KMC and they will attend to solve the problems of complains if you informed them.
- What type of interruption may happen during the construction
- Temporary disruption of livelihood Access to house and shops
- Traffic disturbance in roads
- Temporary loss of secure vehicle parking space
- Damage caused to government or private property and assets during construction
- Temporary loss of building structures in construction
- Temporary disruption and damage in water supply service/Electricity supply/Telecom facility
- Loss of access to day to day essential requirement of community needs
- How to recover if any damages occurred on community properties due to the construction?
You have to send your grievances/ damages to KCWMP help desk on 081- 4954016. The Construction Company will take action according to the survey tax done by them before the construction commenced and fix the problem accordingly.